Beginner Tips and Tricks (and other information) - Hollow Knight | Random Respawn
Calebyte here to bring you some tips for starting out in Hollow Knight. I highly recommend this game to any MetroidVania fans out there!
Text version on reddit:
Please like and subscribe to our channel if you enjoyed what you watched. If you didn't... please do it anyway. Check out our weekly gaming podcast on iTunes, you know, if you're into that kind of thing. And follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.
All the Savvy Social Shenanigans
GAME BY: (Team Cherry [
OUTRO MUSIC: 8-bit Win by HeatleyBros via AudioMicro.com Standard License (
How to Play : Hollow Knight - A Beginners Guide (Tips and Tricks)
Welcome to the Beginners Guide Series: Featuring - Hollow Knight.
Please Support me on Patreon:
Follow me on Twitter: Twitter:
Join our Community Discord Server:
Be Awesome and Subscribe! :)
Item and NPC Locations:
Tips and Tricks - 5 Tips for Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
Hey Xbox Gamers, in this 2D, Metroidvania game, you play as a tiny knight who stumbles upon the long-forgotten village of Dirtmouth, where your hero quickly finds there’s more to this place than meets the eye. Just below the surface is the forgotten kingdom of insects – aka Hallownest. Hallownest was once a prosperous kingdom, but it now lay in ruin, and all who venture below are said to lose their senses or be driven mad. It’s up to you to discover what has happened to this crumbling kingdom, and here are 5 tips to get you get started with Hollow Knight.
For even more strategies and tactics on today's hottest games, plus plenty of other gaming-related fun,
Be sure to watch Tips and Tricks live on Mixer, Every Tuesday at 3pm Pacific/6pm Eastern
Beginner's Guide to Hollow Knight
If you are just starting Hollow Knight and do not understand what is going on, this guide is for you. This video will walk you through how to play the game and make your playthrough much easier.
The Hollow Knight tutorial is simplistic and elegant in the way they explain almost nothing. It is up to the player to figure out how things work. If you have not played a metroidvania in a while or something is not clicking it could make the game VERY frustrating. This guide is to make life easier for new players so they can get back to exploring Hollow Knight.
What do we go over in this beginners guide?
- Benches: they heal you and respawn all enemies that are not in your current room
- Maps: Cornifer sells you mpas. They are not useful until you buy the quill from the map shop back in Dirtmouth.
- Geo: The currency of Hollow Knight. When you defeat enemies, you get fossilized shells which can be used to buy items.
- Wayward Compass Charm: Will show location on map
- Dead ends: Many areas early on require an ability to reach. make a mental note and come back later
- Soul: It is like mana. Hit an enemy with a nail to gain soul. Use soul to heal or cast a spell (once you unlock spells)
- Mask Shard: Hidden shards will increase your HP or amount of damage you can take only after you find 4 shards.
- Stag stations: Usually charge Geo and almost always come with a bench. They allow for fast travel
- Grubs: Green bugs in jars need to be freed. The grubfather will reward you with TONS of geo and items in exchange.
- Shiny items: Pick them up
Spells: Cost soul to use but more powerful than nail attacks
Charms: Can only be equipped while sitting at benches and will enhance your play style. charms require charm notches to equip. You can acquire new charm notches later.
Upgrade Nail Damage: Once you make it to the City of tears go left to find the Nail Smth
When you die: Your shade soul will be left in the place where you die. You lose all your geo and 1/3rd of your soul tank is broken. Once you get your shade back, you get your geo and soul meter back.... unless you die twice, then you get NO GEO!
Purple Mushrooms- you can super bounce off of them if you down attack
Spikes- You can down attack spikes and enemies to pogo off of them
You can also follow me:
Switch Friend Code: 5344-4038-5422
HOLLOW KNIGHT GUIDE [Steel Soul Mode] - Top 5 Charm Builds
Hollow Knight guides, trivia, and secrets all compacted into one nice video! I just beat steel soul mode a couple days ago, and I thought I'd share some of my advice on how to conquer it yourself, including some of the charm builds I had the most luck with.
5 Games to Try if You Enjoyed Hollow Knight
Hollow Knight is a wonderful metroidvania platformer, but if it's all you're playing, you'll probably get tired of it eventually. So I thought I could put together some of my personal recommendations on what to play if you're feeling the Hallownest slump.
MUSIC: Epidemic Sound - Relaxing Jazz 3
All footage was either taken from trailers or promotional content, or recorded by me directly.
Dust - An Elysian Tail:
Hollow Knight ► 9 Things You STILL Don't Know
Even after the Hidden Dreams DLC release, there are STILL secrets, easter eggs, and shortcuts we haven't found. Even though we've had months to do so! We've picked up on 9 secret things you probably weren't aware of in Hollow Knight. Let's get started!
MUSIC: Hollow Knight Soundtrack - Christopher Larkin
FOOTAGE: Mostly captured by myself, but also borrowed from these channels. Please support them and check them out.
Hold To Reset -
Thanks for over 85,000 subscribers!
Tips and Tricks for Beginners on Hollow Knight
I recently completed my first play-through of this game. (yes this game is a ton of fun so onto additional play-throughs now) I found myself wandering around as there really is no tutorial besides the basic learning to jump or swing your nail. Here are 10 tips and tricks to help you out in the beginning of the game to help you find your way under Dirtmouth. Hope you enjoy!
Want to get the game on PC? Use this link to help the channel out!
GAME BY: (Team Cherry [
Connect via Social
Looking for a good gaming and tech news community? Want to get to know more about new games coming out? Maybe you just want to be a part of an awesome place to grow with friends. Come join the GAU Community on Social Media!
GAU: Gamers Among Us Youtube Channel:
Also I am partnered with Humble bundle. Check it out, I love this site. I have been using it for a long time and have had the Humble Monthly Bundle since it started. It is well worth it. Check the link out to help the channel out!
6 Lessons from Hollow Knight's immersive tutorial
Follow me on Twitter-
Support The Architect of Games on Patreon-
Hollow Knight is the latest in a long line of Metroidvania revivals, and it succeeds where so many games have failed, the tutorial. In this adventure, The Architect analyses what, exactly makes Hollow Knight's tutorial so great and what we can learn from it.
The music in this video is all from the Hollow Knight OST, available here:
Hollow Knight Steel Soul in a nutshell
My favorite game of all time.
Music : All Star - Smash Mouth
Sealed Vessel - Hollow Knight Official Soundtrack
Hollow Knight - Charm Interactions and Combos
“I don't know whether you've noticed, but some Charms seem to like each other. Yes! Mmm!
When Charms like each other, they shine even brighter and sing even more sweetly!”
- Salubra the Charm Lover
Unlike the average Hollow Knight gamer, I never had a “main charm build.” Throughout the game, I kept experimenting with all the charms and I mean ALL of em (except for the Compass because I have very good mapping skills.) From Steady Body and Heavy Blow to Glowing Womb and Soul Eater; I used the charms to their full potential and it made my experience with the game so much more strategic and interesting. When I discovered my first charm interaction, it was one of the most fascinating things I’ve seen in a while. So I made this video dedicated to that aspect of the game I absolutely adored (Grimm Troupe DLC charms included.)
This is my first semi-serious video I made so criticism is much appreciated.
Found a lot of these facts in the Hollow Knight Wiki so whoever is running it is doing a really good job. Check it out!
Give Team Cherry’s Hollow Knight the love it deserves! STRONGLY RECOMMEND. The only game like Dark Souls that is not because of its difficulty.
Music is from the Hollow Knight album made by the amazing Christopher Larkin. Go subscribe!
- Dung Defender
- Enter Hallownest
- White Defender (Hollow Knight: Hidden Dreams)
- Truth, Beauty and Hatred (Hollow Knight: Hidden Dreams)
MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
Subscribe to my channel if you feel like it, I’m guessing I’ll make some more Hollow Knight videos
Dead Cells Or Hollow Knight? Which Is More Worth Your Time??
Dead Cells and Hollow Knight, two of the best metroidvania-style sidescrollers I've ever played in my life. But which one is more worth your time? I'll answer this question the best I can.
MUSIC: Epidemic Sound - XTRMNT // Hollow Knight Soundtrack - White Palace
If you'd like to see the full White Palace challenge video, this is the footage I used.
Thank you for over 80,000 subscribers!
All Hollow Knight Bosses Ranked Easiest to Hardest (#1-22)
All Hollow Knight bosses, ranked from easiest to hardest, compiled into one nice, digestible list. Obviously, this list has to do with my own experiences with each boss. Nothing is set in stone, but y'all already know that. Enjoy!
MUSIC: Christopher Larkin - Official Hollow Knight Soundtrack FOOTAGE: Mostly recorded on my own, but also featured footage from the channels below. Please check out the full videos and support the channels listed below.
All About Boss Fights:
Help The Superforge climb to 100,000 subscribers!!!
Hollow Knight Review
Hollow Knight reviewed by Tom Marks on PC and Nintendo Switch.
Watch more IGN Game Reviews here!
Subscribe to IGN for more!
Follow IGN for more!
IGN OFFICIAL APP:
Hollow Knight- Dream Bosses Ranked Easiest to Hardest and Tips/Charms to Beat Each
There are 6 dream bosses in hollow knight that will give a total 1,600 essence if you can beat them all. You don't need to beat them all if you just want the awoken dream nail. This video will go over which bosses are the easiest so that you can get essence quickly.
We will go over:
Which bosses are the easiest
Best charms for beating each dream boss
Tips for beating each dream boss
Essence rewards from the Seer:
100 Essence - Hallownest Seal
200 Essence - Spirits' Glade opens
300 Essence - Pale Ore
500 Essence - Dream Wielder Charm
600 Essence - Attunement Achievement
700 Essence - Vessel Fragment
900 Essence - Hidden Dreams Icon Dream Gate
1200 Essence - Arcane Egg
1500 Essence - Mask Shard
1800 Essence - Awaken the Dream Nail and unlocks Awakening Achievement
2400 Essence - Ascension Achievement
The Dream Bosses include:
Failed Champion- 300 Essence
Lost Kin- 400 Essence
Soul Tyrant- 300 Essence
White Defender- 300 Essence (Requires defeating all 3 Dreamers)
Nightmare King Grim (NKG)- No Essence (Requires a level 3 Grimmchild with three Flames)
Grey Prince Zote- 300 Essence- (Requires rescuing Bretta, Rescuing Zote in Green Path as well as Deep Nest AND defeating Zote in the Colosseum of Fools- Trial of the Warrior)
Some helpful videos:
Pale ore location to upgrade nail:
All mask shard locations:
All soul vessel locations:
Abyss Shriek Spell:
All permanent upgrades (playlist):
Check out Jawless Paul who suggested the perfect charm build to beat Nightmare King Grimm:
Jawless Paul Channel:
Jawless Paul NKG tutorial:
Thank you to everybody who supports the channel.
Every view, comment, share etc is extremely appreciated! I reply to every comment and will continue to make more content for you all. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Hey, Let's Rank the Hollow Knight Bosses Again
Ranking all Hollow Knight bosses from easiest to hardest. Whatever. So there's like, 46 bosses now? Jesus Christ. Well, here's an updated list anyways. Some of the strategies were used from the wiki contributors below. Good folks. Check 'em out.
Written, Voiced & Edited by Rusty of TGN. Yes, that Rusty.
Wiki sources by Sumwan, Mini39928, TheEmbracedOne, Zigmatism, & other contributors. For more in-depth strategies for each individual boss, check out this page:
Hollow Knight Official music soundtrack by Christopher Larkin
Hollow Knight Discord:
Top 10 Best Views in Hollow Knight
Hollow Knight has a ton of beautiful views and locations. In this video I wanted to go over my top 10 best views in the game. More than likely my list will not match up perfectly with yours. Let me know in the comments what are your top 10 locations in Hollow Knight.
10. The Fungal Core- It is an interesting place with all the overgrown mushrooms and being able to bounce off all the purple shrooms makes this place fun and different. I thought it looked cool and deserved to be on the list.
9. Deepnest- Specifically where we find the dream warrior. This area stand out compared to the total darkness that is the rest of Deepnest as there are mushrooms that light up in the dark. It is a safe and interesting area even if it is only one room.
8. The Queen's Gardens- The lush overgrown garden is beautiful with all the fines and colorful flowers that are all over the place. I like the music and look of the area. It is just fun to think of the queen tending to her garden and it has now taken over.
7. Kingdom's Edge- Once you live the city, Kingdom's edge it a vast open deep area is that fun to explore. What I once thought was ash (which is actually molt from the pale king's cast off Wyrm body) is raining down through the open area. There are also bodies from warriors who lost in the trial of the fool who are tossed aside into the acid. I love how the area is bleak but draws you in begging to be explored in all directions.
6. Greenpath- The first time you enter Greenpath it is like a breath of fresh air. You go from the super rocky and barren area that is the Forgotten Crossroads and make your way into the green lush area. All of the plants and scenery is so inviting while the acid and enemies present this air of danger at all times. Once you make your way over to the first bench you are greeted with this amazing scene of vines, waterfalls, lush greenery and it all just pops. This is one of my favorite benches in the game.
5. The City of Tears- This is a favorite for many reasons. The whole city stands out in stark contrast to the rest of the game. Everywhere else in Hollownest is either overgrown or barren wilderness. The city is an intricate and super detailed space that looks and sounds beautiful. The city is vast and fun to explore. It is constantly raining on the outside and the buildings remind us of a better time.
4. Isma's Grove- This area comes unexpected in the Royal Waterways. The over saturated green colors with beautiful plants is just stunning. Especially after the deep dark thin tunnels that the player had to get through. It is clear that this area was made special and was amazing to find.
3. The Blue Lake- This one may be controversial based on the community poll that was done a week before this video was posted. 65% of people voted Blue Lake as their favorite location in all of Hollow Knight. I believe that it is amazing and it is really hard to order the top 3. I love the lore in the area and how the lake is was causes the City of Tears to always be raining. Plus this is the last place we get to see Quirrel.
2. Crystal Peak- From the first time I ever saw Crystal Peak I was drawn in. I loved the way the pink colors popped. Again this was a very nice contract to the Forgotten Crossroads. After getting the Crystal Heart ability the large open chasms that you must fly over are simply jaw dropping. At this point I knew I was getting into a really awesome game.
1. Jonie's Repose- I did not find this area until much later in my playthrough. I thought I had seen all the most beautiful areas in the game. Deep in the Howling Cliffs there is a path what leads you to a cave that is FILLED with these beautiful bright blue butterflies. The whole room is swarming with them and I believe it is the bright colors that really draws me in.
So let me know, what are your top 10 favorite views in the game? Afterwards I realized that I should have added Lake of Unn as that is another really peaceful and beautiful area. Do you think I missed anything else?
Hollow Knight- Best Charms for Nail Damage + Charm Locations
There are a total of 40 charms in Hollow Knight but there are a few charm build that are best for doing damage with your nail. In this video I will share my favorite charm build for nail damage, show how they interact with each other and the location of each charm.
The first charm is the Fragile Strength or Unbreakable Strength Charm. It will take three charm notch slots to equip. This one will add 50% damage to your base nail damage (rounded up). After testing the charm I am not sure that we do a full 50% bonus damage but it is still a lot! The 50% number comes from the Hollow Knight wiki here:
Note that the fragile strength will not break when used against dream bosses. If you do use the Fragile Strength and get defeated, the charm will break and you will need to go back to the leg eater to get it fixed.
The second charm is the Mark of Pride charm. This will increase your nail reach by a huge 25% and will cost you three charm slots. This will make it so you can hit enemies from much further away. You are getting 8.3% reach per charm slot.
The third charm is the Long Nail. This one will cost two charm notch slots to equip. This will increase the nail range by 15% This is still really helpful when you can't afford three nail slots. having any extra range at all makes boss fight much easier as you can attack enemies without taking damage.
The last and possibly best charm for nail users is the Quick Slash charm. The charm will cost three charm notch slots to equip. This one will increase your attack speed by a total of 54%! Getting an extra hit or two in can make all the difference when fighting bosses. One extra hit in each round can make it easier to down bosses or finish the fight off quickly ESPECIALLY when combined with the unbreakable strength.
To equip all of these charms at the same time you will need a total of 11 slots. You start with three and can find 8 more. Check out the video below to find all the notches:
These are MY favorite charms for nail damage. Some people also like to use Nailmaster's Glory, Grubberfly's Elegy or Fury of the Fallen. Let me know what your favorite charm build is in the comments!
Unlock King's Station:
All Spell Locations:
All Permanent Upgrades:
Secret Abilities , All 10 Hollow knight abilities location on map
Hollow Knight- All Charm Notch Locations Guide
In Hollow Knight there are 8 bonus Charm Notches that can be found on top of your starting slots. In this video I am going to break down how to easily found every charm notch in Hollow Knight.
How to find all 8 charm notches in Hollow Knight:
1. Sold by Salubra in Forgotten Crossroads for Geo120 (must have 5 charms)
2. Sold by Salubra in Forgotten Crossroads for Geo500 (must have 10 charms)
3. Sold by Salubra in Forgotten Crossroads for Geo900 (must have 18 charms
4. Sold by Salubra in Forgotten Crossroads for Geo1400 (must have 25 charms)
5. Found in Fungal Wastes (Defeat 2 Shrumal Ogres)
6. Found north-east of Cornifer in Fog Canyon (must have Isma's tear or shade cloak)
7. Reward in Colosseum of Fools (Complete the Trial of the Warrior)
8. Found in Dirtmouth, inside the tent of The Grimm Troupe (Defeat Grimm)
Some helpful videos:
All Pale Ore Locations-
How to find the Coliseum of Fools=-
If you have any tips of your own or would like to see a video on something specific please be sure to let me know in the comments. i do my best to reply to every comment!